Proper Followers

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Links...

BLOGS
I've been looking at a few different blogs recently to see how the other half live. Or more importantly, how other people blog! My conclusion of course, is that there is no set way to blog, but you already knew that, didn't you.
POETRY
I checked out loads of poetry sites around the blogisphere and I even managed to link to one of them. I submitted my details to a couple more but haven't heard anything yet. The one I did link to is called Poets For Dinner and you can check them at my own really bad poetry blog StraightTalkingStreetTalkingSweet..
The concept of Poets For Dinner is that you can ask a poet round to entertain you, give him some dinner a couple of glasses of wine and a few quid for his time and trouble and everybody's happy. Don't take my word for it. Check it out for yourself!
SAD NEWS
I was sorry to hear that Mike Dilger has died suddenly. He was only forty seven. Mike was the Landlord at the White Lion pub in Manchester's Castlefield. I didn't know him very well but in his early days in the pub game I had a few drinks with him. I remember one night we went to Matt and Phredds Jazz Club together in Oldham Street.
MANCHIZZLE
Another blog I recently came across was The Manchizzle. This is a blog based in Manchester that has allsorts of great links to other Manchester blogs. A few of them I was already aware of, but lots of new ones to me as well. The long and the short of it is, I have linked to them with both Proper Joe's and my really bad poetry blog StStS.. Also, Nicola's Newsletter Raw Meat
is linked there too.
POST CARDS
I was out cycling this morning, looking for postcards of all things. Not the shiny glossy type that promote the city or the bar advertising ones. No, I was simply after the common or garden blank, plain white business postcard. A High street stationary chain, three National supermarkets, three local newsagents and three pound shops later and I still hadn't managed to locate a single bog standard post card. Eventually, I did find some small packs in a newsagents on Oxford Street across the road from the old Manchester Odeon.
ODEON
I know that I've mentioned this building before, but I have spent some significant moments within its walls. I remember going to the late night movies there, I think they were on a friday and/or saturday night. In those days the cinema was just one screen with hundreds of seats. Another time I recall was the day I was drafted in as an extra in a movie that was being filmed in the building. I was an audience member and if I remember rightly, you could just see the back of my head in a left to right shot. I know the film script was written by Phil Caveney. Phil Davenport and Shaun Wilson I think, were the film makers. I remember going to see it a couple of years later at The Cornerhouse.
URBAN TRANSPORT
Cycling along, I was trying to think of a clever way to tell the world of my new found discovery, cycling. It's not new to me really, as I've always had a bike of some description. It's just that I'm using it as a bit of a lifeline at the moment - in an attempt to regain some fitness. I came up with Urban Transport and I was trying to make it into UTOPIA but the best I got, before I gave up was Urban Transport Or Pedal It Andy. Which wasn't what I was really looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment